1. Last day of application: 15th September
2. Interview dates: last week of September
3. Results: mid-October
4. Classes begin: January
EXECUTIVE PhD PROGRAMME POLICY
Executive Ph.D. programme at IIM Sirmaur (IIMS) is a doctoral programme in management for working executives interested in pursuing research in any of the fields of management and want to contribute to the body of management literature. The programme will provide participants with training in various areas of management research and help them undertake high quality interdisciplinary research.
The PhD programme at IIM Sirmaur seeks high-quality candidates with a strong academic background with professional experience, and intellectual curiosity needed for scholarship in management education and research. Those who successfully complete the IIMS Executive PhD Programme will be able to undertake research in their areas of specialization independently and use the knowledge gained in their areas of teaching.
The Executive PhD course can be undertaken in any of the following areas of specialization:
Areas of Specializations
- • Information Management System
- • Decision Science
- • Marketing
- • Strategy
- • Finance
- • Operations Management
- • Organisational Behaviour and Human Resources Management
- • Economics
- • Tourism Management
2. Executive PhD Admission Policy
IIMS proposes to enroll at least 10 Executive PhD candidates, preferably one in each area of specialization.
2.2a Candidates require a valid test score of CAT/GMAT/GATE/GRE/UGC-JRF AND must have obtained any one of the following qualifications after higher secondary school (10+2) or equivalent:
- • A Master's Degree in any discipline with 55 percent marks or a two-year post-graduate diploma with at least 55 percent marks along with a Bachelor’s degree with at least 55 per cent marks
- • A 5-year Integrated Master’s Degree with at least 55 per cent marks (obtained after completing higher secondary schooling in 10+2 pattern) in any discipline
- • A professional qualification like CA, ICWA, CS (with at least 50 per cent marks) along with Bachelor’s degree (with at least 55 per cent marks)
- • A 4 year/ 8 semester’s Bachelor's degree (10+2+4 pattern) with at least 6 CGPA.
Note: The percentage of marks obtained by the candidate would be calculated based on the practice as followed by their respective University/Institution. In case of grades / CGPA, the conversion to percentage of marks would be based on the procedure as certified by the respective University/ institution. If any University/institution confirms that there is no scheme for converting CGPA into equivalent marks, the equivalence would be established by dividing the candidate’s CGPA by the maximum possible CGPA and multiplying the result with 100.
2.2b For Executive PhD, applicants must have work experience of at least 10 years after graduation, either in industry or academics.
IIM Sirmaur follows Government of India norms of reservation.
2.4 Application Procedure
The admission documentation for the Executive PhD Programme shall include the following:
1) Executive PhD Application Form
The Executive PhD application form can be accessed from IIM Sirmaur’s website (http://www.iimsirmaur.ac.in). A candidate is eligible to submit applications for a maximum of two areas. Incomplete admission forms will not be accepted.
2) Statement of Purpose
PhD candidates are required to submit a statement of purpose (SOP) that reflects their research interest. The SOP should clearly mention the area of research that the candidate is interested in and give an idea about the methodology that is likely to be adopted to carry out the research.
3) Supporting Documents
- • Certified copies of mark sheets or transcripts of grades obtained during the course of study for the above degrees. Transcripts in languages other than Hindi and English must be submitted along with certified translations.
- • Two references with their contact details and their respective email IDs from academics who have taught the candidate or with whom the candidate has worked closely on scholarly work.
- • Copies of Work Experience Certificates.
- • Caste Certificate (if applicable).
4) Application Fee
The application fee (Non-Refundable) is:
Application fee -
Application for one area
Application for two areas
For candidates having valid GMAT/GRE/CAT/ GATE/JRF(NET) scores
5) No Objection Certificate
Candidates with work experience shall have to submit the No-Objection Certificate from their employer at the time of admission.
2.5 Selection Process for Executive PhD 2023
In Stage 1 of the selection process, based on the information provided by the applicants, candidates will be shortlisted based on the recommendation of the respective areas.
In Stage 2, the shortlisted candidates will be invited for a first round of personal interview to be conducted by the members of the candidate’s area of specialization.
In Stage 3, candidates shortlisted by different areas will be required to appear for a personal interview with the members of the Doctoral Programme and Research Committee.
Candidates who clear this final stage will be given offer letters of admission to the Executive Doctoral Programme at IIM Sirmaur.
3. Programme Overview
The participants are expected to complete their thesis in four to six years. In the initial phase, there will be two terms of coursework and courses will be offered in the participants’ area of specialization. This will be followed by a Comprehensive Qualifying Examination (CQE).
After successfully clearing the CQE, participants will graduate to the research phase of the programme under the supervision of Thesis Advisory Committee (TAC). Doctoral scholars are expected to submit their thesis by the end of fifth year.
3.2 Coursework Structure
There will be two terms within the six months of coursework. Online classes will be conducted over the weekends. There will be a campus visit scheduled each term for one week for off-line classes and interaction.
3.3 Programme Registration and Fee Details
At the time of admission, Rs. 50,000/- has to be deposited as refundable caution money.
First year fee: Rs 2,00,000/-
Second year fee: Rs 1,50,000/-
Third year fee: Rs 1,50,000/-
Fourth year fee: Rs 1,00,000 /-
From fifth year onwards Rs 1,00,000 /- will be charged till the doctoral degree is awarded.
3.4 Executive PhD Programme Degree
After the successful completion of the Executive Ph.D. Program, the participant will be awarded with the degree titled “Executive Doctor of Philosophy”.